Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The tragedies are rapidly rolling [do you like the awesome alliteration]

I have nothing to write about, and I almost didn't write anything......then I had this thought that what if ten years from now I want to know what I was doing at 6:54 on May 28, 2007 and I can't remember. Tragedy.

Future self: you can rest assured because now you will be able to look back and know exactly what was going on in your past mind. If you think about your future self wasting his/her time wondering what was going on ten years ago in his/her own brain, it's almost creepy. Future self, if you are reading this...you should feel a little creepy right now.

I have a deep conflict going on at school right now. First, you have to understand that I'm obsessed with miniature stuff. Not the ordinary obsessed, but obsessed as in my heart starts racing, and I usually make a little "yelp" of excitement. Back to the conflict... the students on my teams have bought these kits to build miniature skateboards that they do hand tricks with. The skateboards also come with a teeny-tiny screwdriver. What this means is that as I'm trying to teach, the students are in an imaginary world where hands can ride on skateboards and ollies [skateboard trick] can be done with the twist of a pinkie. If you are a teacher you might be thinking....okay, so what? one or two students aren't paying attention? Here is what you might not know. If they are not the ones performing tricks, they still aren't paying you any attention because they probably have something "riding" on if the person can or can't perform a trick. In other words, they are wasting quality education time on none other than....GAMBLING. Obviously, our team has a no-skateboard policy. If students have skateboards, they are in BIG trouble. They know this, they understand this, and they ignore this....which brings me to my big conflict. When I see these teeny-tiny skateboards [if you've forgotten..remember my heart races when I see anything that his teeny-tiny], do I "yelp" excitedly or do I "yelp" angrily? Teaching involves hard, hard decisions. So far, I can't completely contain my yelp of excitement, and I've even indulged myself and accepted two skateboards from my students who feel sorry for their weird teachers who excitedly yelps at a little plastic toy. Unfortunate for the students, my yelp of excitement is usually immediately followed by TROUBLE for the "skaters." Also my goodwill donators had the unintentional effect of drastically declining my initial excitement for the mini skateboards since I now have my very own miniature "customized" skateboard that I can secretly play with when no students...or teachers....are watching.

2 comments:

Keisha said...

This is my new favorite blog to read.

Anonymous said...

This blog does not sound like the K I know. Are you sure it is you or do I just not realize how smart you may be.